Throughout 2020 & 2021 the Campaign will continue to show that life is best approached in a spirit of exploration, adventure and enterprise. The creation of the Welsh Year of Adventure aligned well in 2016 and was particularly welcome. We look to our May Outdoor Adventure Week 2021 [OAW2021] to mutually add impact next year more than we could through the 2020 pandemic. Through these and other initiatives, we will continue to influence and better inform attitudes towards risk and build wider recognition that chance, unforeseen circumstances, and uncertainty are inescapable features of life knowing that absolute safety is unachievable; it will demonstrate that sensible education and preparation enable an appropriate balance to be achieved between risk & safety and achievement,opportunity and enterprise. Ian Lewis, Director
How precious to you is the freedom to be adventurous?
Do you deplore the culture of blame and increasing litigation?
Are you aware how opportunities for and expectations of young people are being eroded in the name of the precautionary principle?
Do you think society has the right balance between risk and enterprise?
Will you help us to do something about it?
The call for this Campaign emerged from a UK national conference ‘A Question of Balance’ addressed by HRH The Duke of Edinburgh.
The Campaign aims to rejuvenate society’s attitudes to enterprise and adventure. It calls for realism and a sensible balance between risks and benefits.
We are taking practical steps to:
– raise society’s awareness of these issues,
– enlist the help of the media to celebrate the benefits of adventure,
– produce educational resources that promote the necessary balance,
– help more people and communities experience adventure.
At this stage in the Campaign, we are seeking to expand our network and to encourage others to offer to do something to help.
Will you or your organisation please do one of the following:
– speak or write publicly on the issues?
– consider promoting an event in support of the Campaign?
– offer to host a meeting to take the Campaign forward ?
– help us to grow our network of supporters?
– create a hot link to our web site?
– contribute some money to help fund the Campaign?
– take personal action to introduce more adventure to others?
– help us to promote the Campaign in other ways?
Please let us know what you can do or if you would like to be kept in touch.
Phone: +44 01730 233652+44 01730 233652, Downs View Langrish Hampshire GU32 1RB
Campaign for Adventure – Balancing Risk and Enterprise in Society